Monday, December 5, 2016

Neil DeGrasse Tyson: Pedantry in Space

Just linking this article because it's awesome and it's better than anything I can write:

Neil DeGrasse Tyson: Pedantry in Space by Sam Kriss

Not to mention that NDT is often wrong. I've seen him on Conan before and he's kind of fun for a few minutes, then annoying as hell after that. He's like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, except Sheldon is way funnier and more of a sympathetic character. Here's a good quote from the article:

A decent name for this tendency, for stars and spaceships recast as the instruments of a joyless and pedantic class spite, would be I Fucking Love Science. ‘Science’ here has very little to do with the scientific method itself; it means ontological physicalism, not believing in our Lord Jesus Christ, hating the spectrally stupid, and, more than anything, pretty pictures of nebulae and tree frogs.

I can safely say that "I fucking hate science". I don't hate actual science, I just hate "reason logic fact science evolution fuck". And that's what NDT is the figurehead for. All this has destroyed my interest in science. When I was younger I liked reading about science. Not any more. Science isn't for people like me any more. I'm not a creationist, a global warming denier, an anti-vaxxer, etc., but I wish I was all of those because the "reason logic fact science evolution fuck" crowd pisses me off so much.

Endnote: Anti-vaccine attitudes used to be part of the left until a few years ago, not the right. The only reason it changed was everyone started believing science was inherently left-wing. Don't ask. Don't fucking ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment